GD427 MK IV

GD427 MK IV
What my car should look like when finished - Stoneleigh 2015

Wednesday 28 June 2017

Windscreen Wipers / Vents / Mount

I removed the windscreen so I could mark and cut the demister vents, centre windscreen mount and wiper arms.

I first ensured that the windscreen was sitting correctly, 930mm from the back centre to the body behind the seats.  The screen sits roughly 3mm above the scuttle at the corners.  This made the rubber seal look correct over the width of the car.  I then made sure that it was sitting with even spaces at both sides.  This was all tweaked and setup ok.  The centre bracket was positioned against the pre-drilled holes in the screen and slight adjustments were made to the bracket to allow it to fit.  The holes were then marked in the scuttle and drilled.


I used some measurements from Dale for the demister slots, however I mis-interpreted his description, but it is well within tolerance of the GD build notes:  30-40mm from the back of the screen.  I used 80mm from the roll of the scuttle to the centre of the slot.  Dale's measurement was actually from the rounded edge extremity ie furthest rearward of the scuttle, where I assumed that it mean where the rounded edge met the flat piece of the scuttle.  The outer holes were positioned 220mm in from the windscreen mounting slots.  The stainless escutcheons were used as templates and the holes / slot was drilled and cut using a Proxxon angle grinder.


The windscreen wiper spindles were drilled using the build notes - 415mm in from the outer edge of the windscreen stanchion and 3mm clear of the windscreen rubber.  The cowlings were used to drill the holes at the correct angle, and then were filed out to ensure the spindle fitted through.

I plan to sand down the scuttle polish it before bolting the escutcheons down and fitting the screen.



No comments:

Post a Comment